- 1 Cup of flour
- 1 Cup of milk
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate de soda
- 1 Cup of walnut
- 2 tbsp of granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp rose water
- Orange blossoms for decoration
- 1 Cup of sugar
- 1 Cup of water
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp of rose water
- Prepare the syrup first. Put all the ingredients in a small pan and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Put the pan on the hob at a high temperature and stir from time to time until the syrup is no longer watery. This will take around 10 minutes, leave aside to cool down.
- Whisk the flour, milk and yeast together and leave aside for 2 hours.
- When ready, use a big non-stick pan to cook the katayef. Heat the pan first and then reduce temperature to minimum.
- Sprinkle the bicarbonate de soda to the runny dough and mix.
- Take 2 big table spoons and pour in the pan in small circles to make a small size Katayef. Fry the katayef on one side until golden, remove and leave to cool down.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling, wash the walnuts and put in a blender, add sugar and rose water, blend until smooth.
- Fill each katayef with one spoonful of walnuts and close the 2 sides together making a cone shape.
- When ready to serve the katayef sprinkle one teaspoon of syrup, and some Orange blossoms and serve.
- You can also deep fry the katayef if you wish and once out sprinkle with the syrup.