- 1 1/2 bags (18 ounce bags) good quality chocolate chips, any flavor.
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened, condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup broken nutmeats OR chopped dried fruit OR coconut OR tiny marshmallows OR any combination of the above additions (optional)
- A heavy-bottomed pan or double boiler, large enough to hold all ingredients
- An 8-inch square pan
- Waxed paper for lining the pan
- Decorations (optional)
- On the lowest temperature setting on top of the stove, melt the chocolate chips in the double boiler or heavy-bottomed pan, stirring constantly and being very careful not to burn them. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the sweetened, condensed milk, the vanilla, the pinch of salt, and any additions you have chosen to use.
- When ingredients are completely combined, spread the chocolate mixture into an 8-inch square pan that has been lined with waxed paper. Leave enough waxed paper hanging over the sides of the pan to ensure easy removal of the finished fudge.
- Press decorations gently into the surface of the fudge while it is still soft.
- Refrigerate for four hours, or until solid. Cut into squares or use cookie cutters to make cute shapes. Store in a cool, dry place, in a tin or plastic container, or wrap as a gift!
Tips & Warnings
- Use the highest quality chocolate chips you can find. This will affect the flavor of the final product.
- You can make two batches with different kinds of chips, such as chocolate mint and white chocolate, or peanut butter chips and milk chocolate chips, and swirl them together while still soft for a marbled effect. Cool and cut as usual.
- Be careful not to get any water into the chocolate as it melts or it could cause a drastic change in texture.
- When melting chocolate, it is best not to melt it completely, as it burns so very easily.
- Leave a few chips unmelted and continue to stir after the chocolate is off the heat source. It will melt from the heat already in the pan.
- Don't use plastic wrap instead of waxed paper. It will melt and be really disgusting.