- 1 1/2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, butter and boiling water.
- In a second bowl, stir together the sugar and cornstarch, lemon rind, lemon juice and egg yolks. Combine both mixtures and transfer to the unbaked pastry shell.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until filling is set and pastry is browned.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar until a satiny meringue is formed.
- Lower oven heat to 325 degrees. Remove pie from oven and spread meringue over top, taking care to connect it with the pastry all around the edge.
- Return to oven and bake until meringue is browned, 15 to 20 minutes more. Cool to room temperature, away from drafts.