- 2 cups unsifted all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsifted icing sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup margarine
4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, icing sugar and salt.
- Cream inthe margarine until the mixture turns into a pliable dough. It will look like shortbread.
- Pat the dough evenly by hand into the bottom of a buttered 9"x13" pan.
- Bake for 11 minutes. Let cool slightly before adding filling.
- While the base crust is baking, beat together all ingredients until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Mix well
- Pour over the hot baked base.
- Return the squares to the oven immediately. Bake at 350°F about 25 minutes until pale gold in color.
- During last 5 minutes, put a cookie sheet below the baking pan to be sure the bottom does not burn.
- Remove from the oven. Let cool completely in the pan on a cake rack.
- Cut into squares. Store in tightly covered container.