- 3 cups (400 grams) pitted dates
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 1/4 cup of light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 2 cups (200 grams) old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup (140 grams) all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (160 grams) light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (226 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Place the cut up dates, brown sugar, lemon juice, and water in a medium saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the dates are soft and well blended and have absorbed most of the water (about 5 - 10 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter (or use a non stick cooking spray) an 8 x 11 inch (20 x 28 cm) or a 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23 cm) pan.
- In the bowl of your food processor, place the oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon. Pulse to combine.
- Then add the butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly.
- Press 2/3 of the mixture into the base of the prepared pan.
- Spread the dates evenly over the oatmeal crust. (you can pt flour on your spoon if it is sticking)
- Sprinkle the remaining dough evenly over the top of the dates.
- Bake for about 30 - 40 minutes or until golden brown.
These will keep, covered, in the refrigerator up to a week.